Monday, June 4, 2012

Organize Me!- Closet

Hey everyone!
Today, on my first official Monday of summer, I decided to clean out and organize my closet. This was not a small task.  My closet couldn't have been more disorganized. However, having just finished my project for the day, I feel like I have just accomplished something huuuge. Here are some pictures of my newly organized closet along with some tips that I used to keep everything together and easy to access.
So to start off, I'll break my closet into two sides: Side 1 and Side 2 (see below)

Side 2
Side 1
 
Before I organized everything, I only used Side 1 of my closet. There were a bunch of old toys, pictures, my sister's old stuff, and just some completely random things that I never used. So I started by cleaning out everything in my closet that I never use and pulled out all of the old clothes. There are shelves on each side of my closet too, so I decided what I wanted to fold and put on the shelves and made a list. 


These are the shelves on Side 1. On this side, I have my shorts, pants, polo's, sweaters, school uniform, and skirts folded. Shorts, pants, and skirts obviously because it might be kind of tricky to hang them up; Polo's and sweaters because I hate how hangers stretch out the sleeves. Although this was probably unnecessary, I felt like it made it that much more organized, so I made little labels on the shelves for where everything went (not that I wouldn't be able to look at this and know where my shorts went!)
Here's a closer look:

You can see the label that says "Shorts"

I think I could use some more Sperry's...
My whole idea of organizing my closet actually came from wanting shelves or racks for my shoes. My mom picked these ones up from Target and they're pretty simple, but very useful. I got two, one for each side of my closet! I put the shoes that I wear most often on Side 1 because it's the side that I'm used to going to to get clothes.


I have the other shoe rack on Side 2. I put my boots in between the two racks because they didn't exactly fit too well on the racks.  Now let's move on to the top of my closet...

I had some old basket/ bins that I wanted to use, so I put them on the top shelf of my closet and I used one bin for scarves (which I'll be honest, I don't wear very often) and the other one for hats & gloves (which I don't wear very often either- but they're important to have anyway!). I also used an old shoe box (the brown Ugg box to the right of the bins) for my belts. I used to hang them on a hanger, but it was just annoying and I thought that I would like this way better.  In between the two bins are just some old bags; a Kate Spade bag because they're so cute, a JCrew bag because I could definitely use it for something, and some other reusable canvas bags.
Next to the shoebox with my belts, I just put folded up blankets, and my duffel bags that I use for traveling.
On Side 2, there's really not much difference.  On these shelves, I have my athletic shorts, tank tops (they always fall off hangers), spandex (what I wear for crew), and sweat pants. I put these things on the bottom two shelves and then put my bags & purses on the top shelf.
I put all of my smaller purses inside of my bigger tote bags to save some space.
I hope you all enjoyed my tips & tricks of how I organized my closet! Do you have any secret tricks you use to organize yours? Any questions about something I didn't mention? Leave a comment below and I'll be more than happy to get back to you about it!
xoxo,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment